Each teacher’s resource guide provides reproducible pages containing 6 selected passages, each followed by 7-9 multiple choice questions and 2 open-ended questions; and a paired selection and graphic, followed by 16-18 multiple choice questions and 3 open-ended questions. Correlations to the TEKS are provided for all multiple-choice questions, and teachers can have greater confidence in helping students comprehend the underlying rationale for correct responses through the use of detailed answer explanations as they ready their students for STAAR success.
The following nonfiction selections are included:
- from “Taming the Bicycle,” Mark Twain
- "Lance Armstrong"
- Speech before the Virginia Convention by Patrick Henry
- from “The Runaway Scrape,” Mrs. Dilue Rose Harris
- Millennium Lecture by Elie Wiesel
- "A Cost Too High," Abigail Brightman
- from “My Life,” Helen Keller
- "Baby Talk!," Josh Clark
- "Jon Krakauer"
- from "Shasta in Winter," John Muir